Great Hymns of the Faith ~ A Study for All Ages volume 1
Learn about 10 great hymns of the Christian faith.
Great Hymns of the Faith
This online course is perfect for all ages because such a variety of activities are included.
Whether your purpose is to study hymns as part of your Charlotte Mason curriculum, morning basket time, to grow in your personal faith, family worship time, or simply as another genre for music appreciation, this is the course for you!
For each hymn you find:
- The Lyrics
- 4-5 Videos of various versions
- Information about the composer
- The Story behind the song
- PDF of all verses in 4-part harmony
- Videos of Soprano, Alto, Tenor, and Bass so you can learn the parts and sing it in 4-part harmony with your family, co-op, or other group (recorded by Gena and her oldest son)
- A Music Lesson that relates to each hymn
- Copywork of the lyrics
- An original coloring page for each hymn (designed by Gena's oldest daughter)
- A devotional that mom or dad can read to the family that relates to the hymn
- A Bible Study to do along-side learning the hymn. The Scripture is provided in three Bible versions, as well as a variety of Bible Study methods to choose from.
Here are the 10 hymns included in the course:
- Amazing Grace
- Fairest Lord Jesus
- It is Well With My Soul
- A Mighty Fortress is our God
- Blessed Assurance
- Be Thou My Vision
- The Old Rugged Cross
- Holy Holy Holy
- Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
- What a Friend We Have in Jesus
The devotionals were written by these fabulous homeschool moms:
- Kathy Gossen of Cornerstone Confessions
- Anne Marie of Future Flying Saucers
- Melanie Wilson of Psycho With Six
- Stacy Farrell of Homeschool Adventure
- Ana Willis of They Call Me Blessed
- Tauna Meyer of Proverbial Homemaker
- Danika Cooley of Thinking Kids
The ten accompanying music lesson topics are:
- The Pentatonic Scale
- Hymn Tunes
- Hymn Meters
- Congregational Singing with a "first voice lesson" video
- Notation Software
- Celtic Harp
- Time Signatures
- The Organ
- Musical Quotations by Charles Ives
- Shape Notes
See FREE Preview Lessons here:
- How to Use
- Step-By-Step Schedule Options
- "Amazing Grace" The Hymn
- "Amazing Grace" The Story
- "Amazing Grace" Sing It
- "Amazing Grace" Music Lesson ~ The Pentatonic Scale
- "Amazing Grace" Copywork and Coloring
- "Amazing Grace" Devotional by Ana Willis
- "Amazing Grace" Bible Study
- Other Hymn Study Resources
- Other Optional Music Resources
Get started now!
Gena Mayo is a homeschooling mom of 8 who has been teaching music in various forms for 30 years. She has a Bachelors degree in Music Education and a Masters degree in Vocal Pedagogy (teaching voice lessons). It has been her joy to teach elementary and junior high choir, high school voice classes, private voice lessons for teens through adults, early childhood music and movement classes (babies through preschool), elementary general music, and music appreciation for elementary through high school. But, her favorite music teaching experience has been as musical director for stage musicals such as Seussical, Shrek, Singing in the Rain, Newsies, and Beauty and the Beast. It is Gena's desire to help all homeschoolers easily include music in their homeschools!
"We finally found a fantastic Hymn study course that we can do together as a family. I love how this course makes the Hymns come to LIFE in such a FUN way! We have truly enjoyed going through this course together. It's definitely worth getting!"
~Jessica Anderson, homeschool mom and blogger at Intentional Life
Perfect for use at a Homeschool Co-op:
"I enjoyed teaching Great Hymns of the Faith to students at our homeschool co-op who loved learning hymns they have not heard before. Each student kept a three prong folder with copies of the hymns, copywork, and coloring pages. During class we read through the hymn, listened to song, learned about its history, sang the song, learned the music lesson, spent time doing copywork and coloring, and, if time allowed, I shared the devotional. At our co-op Family Night the students shared what they learned about one of the songs and sang it for the audience, who joined us at the end."
Frequently Asked Questions
"We love the hymns and my kids love singing, but I can’t! I make up songs all the time....but that’s not the same. I’m so excited!"
"I glanced around at the program yesterday. Thank you for making it easy to navigate!"
"Very thankful for this course. We have had loose plans in the past to do hymn studies and never got around to it. This course looks so well laid out and easy to follow. Thank you!"
"I am so relieved to have found something like this! This will be a great study during holiday breaks and the summer. Thank you so much for your gift of this resource.
"I love that you added these copywork and coloring pages to the course, Gena! This is perfect for our youngest. Thank you!"
"I've been looking for something like this! I'm so glad I opened the email from Proverbial Homemaker. I'm eager to incorporate this into our homeschool this year."
Get started now!
By the way, are you looking for a Music & Fine Arts Membership experience?
The Music in Our Homeschool Plus (MIOH+) Music and Fine Arts membership experience for Preschool - High School is open for enrollment in January, May, and August of each year.